Israeli Couscous Salad Bowl with Orange Basil Yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over a moderately high heat. Add couscous and stir until begins to colour, stir 4-5 minutes. Add stock and salt to taste and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Drain any excess liquid.
- Meanwhile, make the orange basil yoghurt by combining all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisking until well combined. Set aside for flavours to develop.
- In a large bowl toss the couscous with chickpeas, fennel, carrot, edamame, salad leaves, green onion, parsley and mint, seeds, currants and lemon juice. Serve drizzled with orange basil yoghurt.
- Pickled carrots
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, salt and water until the sugar dissolves. Add the sliced carrots and ginger and set aside to pickle for at least 10 minutes or longer if time permits. Best used within a couple of days but can be refrigerated for up to a week.
- Note: Add grated raw or cooked beetroot which makes the salad turn a vibrant pink colour. Substitute Israeli couscous with quinoa, amaranth, burghul, red rice, soba noodles or supergrain mixes (available from supermarkets). Tips: Add chilli, garlic, red onion, radishes, beetroot, daikon, fennel.