Lemon Yoghurt Cake
1 hour 15 minutes
- EVOO for greasing cake tin
- Preheat oven to 160° Celsius. Line the base of a 20cm cake tin, not spring form as it may leak, with baking paper, and grease the sides with butter or coconut oil.
- Whisk eggs, vanilla and honey with an electric mixer until fluffy, before adding lemon zest and juice and continue to beat for another 2 minutes.
- Add almond meal, baking powder, yoghurt, coconut and EVOO to bowl, and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Pour batter into the lined cake tin and place it into a baking dish with water half way up the sides.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until lightly golden on top. If you notice your oven has a hot spot or cake is browning unevenly turn it around at this point.
- Cook for another 25-30 minutes at 180° Celsius, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and let sit at room temperature.
- Place lemon juice, zest, honey, and water into a small saucepan and simmer over low heat for 5 mins.
- Poke holes all over cake and pour half the hot syrup over the cake, reserve zest.
- Allow cake to sit with syrup for up to 30 minutes.
- Turn out, upside onto serving platter. Serve with remaining zest and syrup.
- Serve with additional yoghurt or cream as desired.