Freekeh & Lentil Vegetable Bowl with Tahini Yoghurt Dressing
- 1 cup (200g) freekeh, rinsed & drained
- Place freekeh and lentils in a large saucepan and add boiling water. Bring to the boil, reduce to simmer and cook, covered, for 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain any excess liquid, spread onto a large baking sheet and leave to cool slightly.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add a pinch of salt and blanch the beans, broccolini, and asparagus in batches for 1-2 minutes until just tender. Rinse under cold water to stop them cooking. Drain well.
- In a large bowl, place freekeh, lentils, parsley and mint, and toss well to combine; season to taste. Arrange in bowls or on a large platter with beans, broccolini, asparagus, zucchini, cabbage, avocado and pickled onions on top. Drizzle with tahini dressing and garnish with toasted seeds.
- To make dressing:
- Place all ingredients in a bowl & whisk to combine. Makes about 1 ¼ cups.
- To make Pickled onions:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar and salt with 3 tablespoons of water until the sugar dissolves. Add the sliced onion and bay leaf and set aside to pickle and turn bright pink.
- Note: Tips - Superblend mixes (eg.freekeh, lentils, beans) are available from supermarkets. Other grains, such as amaranth, pearl barley, Israeli couscous, red rice or burghul could also be used. Add or substitute other vegetables (silverbeet, kale, chargrilled eggplant, grated raw / cooked beetroot, watercress, rocket, edamame, green peas, heirloom tomatoes or corn).